Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Rach and Maj


We may not agree on a lot of stylish things (i.e. those shoes you wore running after Skyler in last night's episode), but Rachel Zoe and I both j'adore Giambattista Valli.

I didn't recognize the name when she mentioned the Paris show she wouldn't miss because he's "maj". Giambattista Valli is not a household name or even one you say aloud often. First I thought she meant the evil guy who ran Cuba before the present evil guy. Halfway into the runway presentation I realized who this was. I was lucky enough to snap up a leopard coat he designed as part of a collection for Macy's last year.


In a nutshell GM is a native Roman who designed his way around some Italian houses (Capucci, Fendi, Krizia). His success with a young and hip Roman clientele forged a move to Paris and work for Emanuel Ungaro.  GM began his own ready-to-wear-line line in 2005 with couture launching in 2011. The looks are very modern yet innately feminine. It's easy to see influences from Fellini and Antonioni films, Halston and what used to be called "cafe society". As Audrey Hepburn is never far from my fashion-think, I see her wearing Giambattista Valli if she were living her life in Rome as she once did. As for now, GM has a roster of celebrities who wear his clothes (Natalie Portman, Halle Berry, Diane Kruger, SJP, Julianne Moore, Penelope Cruz, etc.) and me of course.

If you love fashion it's a thrill to discover something major while it's still a bit minor.

Here's looking at you...

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the sleeves on that blouse - would certainly liven up my work wardrobe!

    www.mancunianvintage.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember him from his early Krizia days.....he has been around for a while though. I do like this current collection. Thank's for the post! x

    ReplyDelete