Sunday, April 20, 2014

The Great Harper's Bazaar

One of the best covers...

Vogue Schmogue. It seems whenever I get inspired to share some style inspiration, it comes from Harper's Bazaar. Many people, especially those who work at Vogue, think of Bazaar as Vogue's whiny little sister. History would not be on their side. Vogue is an upstart, founded in 1892. Harper's Bazaar has been around since 1867.

...one of the first...

Editor Glenda Bailey is not a star in her own right (thinking of Vogue's Anna Winter). But Glenda is a solid voice and obviously loves being at the helm. It isn't mentioned, but she is no beauty. Either was Diana Vreeland. No matter; it makes Glenda more approachable for the rest of us. One of her great gifts is allowing editors and contributors to express themselves. I may not agree with them, but they are always interesting.

Glenda the Good

Harper's Bazaar excels in fashion coverage. They have a small, weirdly wonderful editorial well that could be called Harper's Bizarre, but for the most part they serve up real news for the fashion possessed. What they show is wearable if not exactly attainable. A "Great Find" could be a $625 sleeveless blouse.

"Fabulous at Every Age" is one of my favorite features and would be on a tattoo if I had one. Every issue devotes several pages to what's in and how to wear it in your 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s and 70+. Funny thing is there's almost nothing that can't really be worn by anyone, but it's a nice hook, and I love that "70s+" tag. No end in sight!

Fabulous and ageless

There are designer profiles, but not presented in the usual way. April's subjects are both Sonia Rykiel and Lola Rykiel in "My List"— how they spend 24 hours. Fascinating. What I like best throughout is that Bazaar isn't continuously tooting its own horn. The don't sponsor Met exhibits or CFDA fund competitions. They will link you up to online shopping sites to buy featured merchandise, but this is how fashion magazines are trying to stay alive in the publishing desert.

As you may have figured out, I read them all. I subscribe to most and look at the ones I won't let into the house (aka People Style Watch) at the gym. IF I had the will power to stack them up like jets on a runway to Paris (instead of read as I pry them out of my mailbox), Harper's Bazaar would be the first.

...the current cover

No comments:

Post a Comment