Friday, September 8, 2017

Weighing in on the September Issues

 
The blessed event that is the September fashion magazines weighs in at 10.6 pounds this year. That's a hefty baby but 1.4 pounds less than last year's delivery. The fashionable five are Vogue at 774 pages, Harper's Bazaar at 474, Elle at 496, Marie Claire at 294 and Glamour, the runt of the litter, at 216 pages. Everyone lost a little compared to last year. I fear only the trees will be happy with this news. 

The health of a magazine is determined by its number of pages, signifying many or fewer ads.  Love them or hate them, ads are what breathes life into a magazine. Your subscription at a bargain price is a "loss leader", as they say,  but pumps up the circulation figures. That number determines the price of an ad.

It's a fascinating exercise in economics, but one that pales when I get my hands on the little beauties themselves. New clothes— or the wishes thereof— mean a new season, new activities, new adventures.

This year as well as last I did not include InStyle in the mix. At 440 pages it's pretty healthy, but I've always considered InStyle more celebrity watching/lifestyle wishing. The September issue is called 'The Fashion Issue" and true to itself is chock full of fashion trends and some nice first-person pieces (as well as plenty of celebrity sightings). It might even be the one to have if you're just having one. 

A peek inside September InStyle

I hate to see summer end, but those September issues are a magic bridge to what life may be on the other side. I plan to enjoy them wearing shorts and flip flops while drinking lemonade on my backyard chaise under the shade of an umbrella. Perfect.




1 comment:

  1. My Vogue was dropped to the floor of entry way.....would not fit in the mail box...my exercise for the day was carrying the tome up the 21 stairs to my apartment. My arms felt better for it.
    Glad you have the joy to write your blog given circumstances you have had to endure in Houston! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete