Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Two Trends to Try

 
Two trends to try. Try saying that five times fast.

Faithful readers of the blog will know I rail against wearing trends just because they are trendy and urge you to question if one is really something you love. If you have to ask yourself Do I have the nerve?, you don't. I still can't get behind Tevas as fashion though I did buy a pair and regret money spent (though the shoes were donated to bare feet in Haiti).

Two trends popping up for fall are intriguing because they are lighthearted and inexpensive. I like to be out of the gate early on little things so may not exactly wait until the weather cools.

A less-scattered moment on the Prada runway
 
First is the smattering of scatter pins. This look was last seen around 2005. I was happy at the time to unearth some of my mother's costume jewelry and bought a few new sparklers myself. That bling has sat in a drawer for years. Now Miuccia Prada is pulling out the stops in her fall collection with over-sized and decidedly unusual pins on jackets, blouses, dresses and coats. Other designers and stylists have followed suit. The adorned dresses (top) may look like the models walked through an electromagnetic field, but a pin or two on a jacket would be lovely.

Next up is the skinny black scarf. This look supposedly started with Carine Roitfeld (former editor-in-chief of French Vogue and current global fashion director for Harper's Bazaar). She wore one every day of the Paris Fall 2015 runway shows. I tried re-purposing a black silk sash from an old robe but opted for Zara's $10 version— wider (but not too wide) and longer (but not too long).

Carine fit to be tied

The pleasure in trends is finding those that are just for fun and require very little investment. Best of all, of course, would be starting a trend myself. I'm working on that in my off hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment